*STATE OF OSUN MINISTRY OF HEALTH*
*OFFICE OF THE HONOURABLE SPECIAL ADVISER ON PUBLIC HEALTH*
_18th March, 2020_
*NO CASE OF CORONAVIRUS DISEASE (COVID-19) IN OSUN*
The assertion by one @ChinyereOranugo on Twitter that, his cousin (name not stated) who just arrived from United Kingdom for NYSC and posted to Ekiti State was down with cough, kept in Isolation centre has been sent to Osun is completely *WRONG, UNTRUE, and FALLACIOUS.*
As a government, Osun has been taking serious proactive measures to prevent and mitigate the ugly but very voracious spread of Coronavirus. Such measures include:
Inauguration of a 15-man Technical Action Committee with due and necessary responsibilities spanning through epidemiological control and management headed by the State Director of Public Health and supervised by the Special Adviser on Public Health. The committee in turn designed a strategic plan which included:
1) Development of treatment protocols for COVID-19 management
2) Isolation centre functionality and holding centres
3) MOU with reference laboratory: Africa Center of Excellence for Genomics of Infectious Disease (ACEGID)
4) Visitation/mapping/screening of the Chinese Nationals and other foreigners across the State
5) Placing adequate surveillance on them
6) Massive risk communication activities such as Public awareness and precautions
7) Collaboration with relevant Ministries and agencies for effective outcomes
8) Training of relevant personnel and procurement of protective materials and other necessary Consumables for the containment of the outbreak, among others.
The two Isolation centres we have are in Ile-Ife and Osogbo. They are empty. No patient is there. I don’t know why Chinyere Oranugo had to fabricate this weighty lie against our dear State, Osun. *I therefore challenge her to truth.*
Mr Governor had on Monday during the State Executive Council meeting set up an Executive Committee to brainstorm in the effects of COVID-19 on the State. This Committee in conjuction with the Technical Action Committee will come out with white paper recommendations as to next line of action for Mr. Governor’s approval tomorrow.
As at the time of this release, investigation is ongoing in connection with Ekiti State as to ascertaining the authenticity of the information, as we have never received any COVID-19 patient from Ekiti State Government.
We are intensifying our surveillance actions to private health facilities in case the purported patient has escaped to Osun from Ekiti.
I want to assure the citizenry of Osun that there is *NO CASE OF CORONAVIRUS DISEASE (COVID-19) YET IN THE STATE.*
Therefore there is no need for undue panic. People should adhere to the preventive measures they are already aware of. *The State Government of Osun is on top of the situation.*
I thank you.
*Dr. Olasiji A. Olamiju*
_Honourable Special Adviser on Public Health, Osun._